Monday, October 4, 2010

Monday, Monday!










Actually, it should be titled "Weekend! weekend!" since this post is about recipes that I tried on the weekend. Today, I had left over chicken tossed in some curly noodles and sauteed veggies. Tasty, but a tad boring to discuss. ;)

Anyway! On the weekend, I tried a couple of Cooking Light recipes from the new magazine (Oct. 2010). The first pictured is Greek-Style Skewers. (5pts) It was a really quick and easy recipe and everyone enjoyed it, except for dh who didn't like the garlic. The garlic does have a good bite in these, as you brush on the marinade AFTER the chicken is cooked. Interesting, I thought! I really loved the flavour. Also, there was a lot of the olive oil based marinade left in the bowl (how much can you brush on to cooked chicken? 3 tbsp is a lot!), so I think the point value might even be closer to 4 in the end, but I counted it as a 5.

Some changes I made: I didn't have fresh oregano (everyone else got their CL copy first, my grocery store was out!), so I used about a tsp of dried and I used grape tomatoes instead of cherry ones (as that's what Costco had). Shocker, I know! Oblong rather than round. It changed the taste completely! ;) I really liked the grilled tomatoes, btw. I haven't had them grilled for awhile. That's what's good about following a recipe, even an easy one like this, just getting out of the regular routine!

I also tried the cover recipe from this month's issue Peanut Butter Banana Bread. (4pts) This recipe dh could get behind, though dd10 didn't like it. It's a dense banana bread with a lovely peanut butter sugary glaze on the top. What's not to love? I always enjoyed the peanut butter and banana sandwich, so here's a chance for a flashback, right? I also have an overload of ripe bananas in the house (and my family only eats green tinged ones), so I might be trying some more banana recipes from this issue!

Post From My iPhone

No comments: