Sunday, September 26, 2010

Surviving our Birthday Party Season with Cake and Lasagna

(The best way to survive birthday season, imho.)

Both of my girls have September birthdays, and with the start up of school and extracurricular activities starting up, it always makes September a little crazy and not very low fat. Soooooo...it's good that I joined Weight Watchers in September, right? To at least make me try to stay on track. (Although at this point I still need to track Saturday and Sunday! Right after this!)

Today we had the family birthday. I made 2 desserts and 2 lasagnas: a Cooking Light version for each. The lasagna, Butternut Squash Lasagna (5pts), I found on the Cooking Light website and the Classic Angel Food Cake (3pts) from my Cooking Light Recipe binder.

The lasagna was good. You make two in 8x8 pans, with directions to freeze one. I cooked both, just in case we needed extra. I'll try to remember to take a picture tomorrow (when we are eating leftovers), as I forgot to today! I used the organic squash from our organic delivery and a ton of the small onions that keep piling up. (yeah! love using up stuff that sometimes gets wasted.)

The angel food cake was a hit. I served it with sliced strawberries and the choice of frozen yogurt (more ww friendly) and regular vanilla icecream.

My weigh-in was not as good this week- I was up .2! I wasn't too surprised because though I hadn't gone over flex or anything, my workouts were down due to party prep and I had had salt (popcorn) the night before during dd10's sleepover party. I can't beat myself up though since I didn't have the icecream cake OR the chips. I was down this week earlier, so I think it will show up on the scale next time. Unless I eat some of the chocolate peanut butter cupcakes dd10 and I made from the Martha Stewart cupcake recipe book this morning (dessert #2). So far, I'm holding strong. :)

2 comments:

MargieAnne said...

Hi. Saw your Blog on HYC so popped on over.

You have done extremely well on Birthday week. Our 3 sons were born in the same week in November followed by my husband's b;day 2 weeks later. Whew! Fun but so busy!

JanetM97 said...

Hey MargieAnne! Thanks for popping by! That must be one crazy week in November!! :)