Thursday, April 16, 2009

a most excellent dinner :)




In an attempt to use up some of the organic fruits and veggies that are currently filling my fridge, I tried a number of new Cooking Light recipes tonight. Roasted Chicken with Lemon Curd (6pts- 3 oz and lemon) was super delicious- if a little time consuming for a week night. Luckily it was so nice out, that the girls played outside for a bit longer than usual and I was able to get the clean-up mainly done while it was cooking.

It really was easy to make- and- except for the chicken- I had all the ingredients on hand (yeah), including the 4 lemons I used for the Lemon Curd, plus the two more for the roasting.

side note of extra details from Janet's life: I had bought extra lemons, to go along with the organic ones, in case I decided to make a lemon meringue for Easter. I bought it instead and made the chocolate dessert- ergo a stash o' lemons.

Anyway, the Lemon Curd is a separate step, but very delicious. It actually tastes like lemon meringue pie- almost like I made the pie after all, eh? ok. not quite. Not sure what I'm going to use the left-over lemon curd on- ice cream? What does one use curd on? In this recipe, it's a glaze over the chicken. Love the roasted lemons in this, too. You serve each plate with half a lemon. I squeezed mine over my chicken. It was almost creamy seeming. mmm... The chicken was moist and delicious- lightly flavoured with lemon, garlic and rosemary. Probably most of you roast chickens all the time. I have to admit that it's something I often buy to save time rushing home from work- so this was very exciting for me. (and so much better than store bought, eh?)

In my organic veggie delivery, it's often the potatoes that seem to go soft before I can use them (and so I waste them). Tonight I used mine (woo hoo!) when I made Potato Gratin with Goat Cheese and Garlic. (4pts- 2/3c) I think I might have made this recipe before- lol- not sure, but they were surely delicious. Can anything with goat cheese NOT be delicious? I say "no." Again, the recipe was pretty easy, other than the peeling of the potatoes. I was happy that I used my potatoes- a five or six red ones- before they sprouted. (Just a couple of sweet potatoes left now!)

Finally, I made a carrot dish: Carrot Coins with Maple-Balsamic Browned Butter. (1pt- 3/4c) It was really good, too. You steam the carrot coins first and then basically toss them in a browned butter mixture. I had two bags of carrots left-over: my sister snuck over her own bag of carrots for Easter instead of using mine. Sneaky devil. ;)

Anyway, thumbs up from everyone on the chicken. Dh and I both really liked the veggies.

In exercise news, I had my step class at lunch today. I downloaded new music (love new music!) and had a couple of new students come to the class who were enthusiastic: very fun. :) Tomorrow is boot camp- should get to bed early in preparation. Tonight I felt sore from Tuesday's class.

5 comments:

carla said...

happy BOOT CAMP FRIDAY.

no excellent dinner around here yesterday but I must add I love the mere words lemon curd :)


Miz.

Kelly the Happy Texan said...

That dinner looks like something to serve on a holiday. beautiful.

Do you teach a step class?
I'd like to know more about the boot camp too. Sounds scary!

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Sure, I practically wear myself out with all the chicken roasting I do around here. :)

Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing it with us.

JanetM97 said...

LOL Cammy! It's actually so easy though I don't think I've ever done one before. (turkey, yes- chicken, no) One of MizFit's guest posters and a rl gf inspired me to try one- with all their talk of easy and fresh.

And yes, I teach step- just at my school for a girl's fitness club currently. I used to teach at the Y and a couple local gyms. I cut back being busy.

The boot camp is very fun. It is intense, but you also work at your own pace. And our trainer is great!

SeaShore said...

Cheese is a wonderful thing in any form ;)

I'm going to try those carrots this week. They sound yummy and I have all of the ingredients!