Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Best Broccoli Ever



Monday did roll around PDQ, eh? Anywhooo...I did manage to fit in 1 20 min. run/walk on the treadmill yesterday and tried a couple of new recipes last night. I did this broccoli recipe recommended by the amazing (and funny) Dietgirl. She linked it from The Amateur Gourmet's blog who was inspired by a Barefoot Countessa recipe. 6 degrees of diet blog separation. ;)

I should start by saying that I'm really am not a cooked broccoli fan. I steam it for the rest of the family- who will actually eat this vegetable without complaint, but I prefer it raw. I LOVED this recipe though. It really is delicious. I limited the olive oil in it, but I did (unlike the Amateur Gourmet) try it with the pine nuts (love pine nuts!) though I cut those down, too, and also used the basil (which I had left over from my organic box.)

dh enjoyed it, too, going back for 2nds and 3rds. My children, on the other hand, will have to grow to love it. They didn't enjoy it *sigh* proving for once and for all that I have the pickiest children in Canada and possibly, North America. ;) So much for the Amateur Gourmet's friend's comment "If parents made this broccoli for their kids, kids wouldn't hate broccoli. They'd beg for it." He hasn't met mine. ;P BUT that being said, it really, really was the best broccoli I ever ate. For the tots, I will stick with steamed for awhile.

The Best Broccoli Evah! (originally from the Barefoot Countessa)

Preheat the oven to 425.

4 to 5 pounds of broccoli cut into florets I used half a pre-washed HUGE bag from Costco

5 Tbs olive oil I used less than 2

1 1/2 tsps kosher salt I used sea salt. It was a little too chunky. Led to random bits of salt.

1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper

4 garlic cloves peeled and sliced

1 1/2 TBSP of olive oil I used less

3 TBSP toasted pinenuts

1/3 C shredded parmesan cheese


Put the clean and dry broccoli on a cookie sheet. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.

Now toss the sliced garlic in too.

Roast in the oven 20 to 25 minutes. The broccoli should be tender crisp and the tips starting to brown. Take the broccoli out and zest a lemon over the broccoli and then squeeze the juice over it. Toss in 1.5 TBSP more olive oil, 3 TBSP toasted pine nuts and 1/3 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. and 2 TBSP of julienned fresh basil.


2 comments:

ani pesto said...

Oooooh looks great. I so have to try this, I'm such a broccoholic (I think I'm catching up for missed years, I only really started liking it in the last 6 or 7 years)

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Hmmm, I only eat broccoli raw, but that recipe sounds pretty darn good even without the oven. I'll give it a try!