Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Checking in with Chops


HYC check in time... I had a good week. I got in a little exercise (have to make it more regular though), checked out one of the gyms we are considering and tried a few recipes. btw, I have way too much reading material on my ottoman: a ton of new recipe magazines (cooking magazine junkie in the howww-sse) and cookbooks from the public library. I need more free time! How about you?

I am down this week- currently between 2-3 pounds. woo hoo! My official wi day is not until tomorrow though and so that might not stick. I am very close to my low from the summer, before I fell into a bin o' pizza and poutine in Quebec. It's funny how easy weight goes on- as opposed to the coming off- not in the funny "Ha! Ha!" sense- more in the" Boo hoo!" arena. BUT I haven't been suffering too much (as in I've been enjoying what I'm eating), and though it has been slow going at times, I do feel stronger and healthier with sprouting muscles and everything (to offset the creaking bones).

Finally, last night I tried another recipe from the new Clean Eating: One Skillet Lamb Chops. They were super delicious. Sometimes you just feel like a chop, right? :) The ones pictured in the magazine were thinner (and prettier) than the ones I found at Costco (from New Zealand). I left mine in the pan for longer than the recipe called for because of that and then, later, microwaved my younger daughter's too red chop bits. We're more of a medium well family (or very well done- ie, burnt, in dh's case.)

The chops looked quite small, but one really was enough. It just shows you how the typical portion size in restaurants is really too big. Anyway, here's the recipe, typed out by moi for your amusement.


One-Skillet Lamb Chops
4 med or 6 small 3/4 inch thick lamb loin chops (1-1 1/4 lb) fat trimmed I used 5 of mine.

1/4 tsp fine sea salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 unsweetened apple juice

1/4 c low-sodium beef broth

1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar

1/2 firm ripe pear, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4 in slices I missed the "peeled" part. Oops!

3/4 tsp fresh rosemary, thyme or combo chopped

Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. Cook over med-high about 2 1/2 mins per side for med rare or 4 mins per side for med. Keep warm.

Discard any fat from skillet and return to med heat. Add apple juice, broth, vinegar and pear to skillet. Cook 2-3 mins until liquid is reduced by half. I reduced mine to barely anything, but luckily I was the only one who really wanted some. lol. Sometimes picky is GOOD. Remove from heat and stir in herbs.

Serve lamb topped with pears and pan sauce. 5 points per serving (4 1/2 oz of lamb, 1/4 pear and 2 tbsp sauce)



3 comments:

new*me said...

congrats on your loss.........secretly a little jealous since my scale is stubborn right now ;)

Maybe you should cook for me?

JanetM97 said...

lol! You had way more steady success than me, girl! (cause Annette is a hard working trooper and I go off plan for holidays and minor events, apparently :P)

Your weight loss is showing up in other ways and the scale will eventually catch up again!

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Here's hoping the "sneak peek" weigh in holds....