Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sleepy on a Saturday :)


*Yawn* Stayed up too late last night. Just didn't feel sleepy, though I was exhausted. Doesn't make sense, does it? Anyway, bright light of sun thru thin curtains and chatty dh (who wanted to tell me about his interesting SAS book facts- lol) woke me up early. Gotta get thicker curtains. Not sure what I can do about the chatty dh though. It's good that he reads and it's cute when he gets excited about stuff. Plus, I gave him the book for Christmas, so it's nice he's enjoying my gift and all (especially since at the time of giving it, he stressed about it being too expensive: hard cover, new title). :)

Since my last post, I tried a couple of new recipes. My organic veggie box is definitely shaping (and encouraging more of) my recipe choices, btw. Firstly, I tried a Martha Stewart pesto one to use up some of my basil and fresh spinach from this week: Fettuccine with Parsley Pesto and Walnuts. The pesto ACTUALLY called for parsley, but since I had 2 pretty bunches of basil, I used those instead. I also cut back on the walnuts and didn't sprinkle any on top. I also used bow tie noodles instead of fettuccine. (This recipe was a last minute decision. Can you tell?)

My spinach leaves look HUGE compared to hers because while I was making this dish, I was also prepping a plain version for dh, so my spinach didn't get tossed in until the noodles were cooled down: ergo, little wiltage. (If I could only train dh to like pesto!)
I cut the recipe in half for 2 servings and after the picture, added some shrimp. The recipe isn't actually low in points (11 using all her ingredients anyway). It was, like all things Martha that I've tried: very tasty!

Yesterday, using up more organic produce I made the Cooking Light Maple-Walnut Apple Crisp ( 4 pts) and this new vinaigrette from my organic veggie box company (they send recipes with their emails sometimes): Fresh Lemon Vinaigrette. It was very delicious and tart! :)

FRESH LEMON VINAIGRETTE (foodreference.com)
Ingredients
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
€ 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
€ 1 clove garlic, pressed
€ 1/4 teaspoon salt
€ 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
€ 1/2 cup vegetable oil

Directions Whisk together first 5 ingredients. Gradually add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until blended. (If desired, prepare ahead by storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature and whisk before serving.)

Have a great Saturday, healthy bloggers! I'm hoping to get in a little exercise. Being tired kills my desire to sweat a lot. Maybe a nap first?

5 comments:

Kelly the Happy Texan said...

Ha! Sounds like you and I had similar evenings and mornings. I took a nap after brkfst.
Those dishes look delicious! Yum. And congrats on the weight loss.
Love the blog!
Kelly

Christyne said...

That pasta looks DIVINE!!! I may just have to try it!

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Umm, not to be self-centered or anything, but could we have something with chocolate in it next week? :)

Hope you were able to work in a nap today!

JanetM97 said...

Thanks ladies! :) and lol Cammy! *sigh* I just might have to make something chocolatey just for you. I'm a giver that way. ;P

(too bad the organic people don't do chocolate)

new*me said...

I'm having a sleepy Sunday....made the coffee extra strong :) You inspired me to make oriental stir fry last night! It was so yummy!!!

I love your food pics!