Wednesday, February 4, 2009

making up for not cooking yesterday!


Yep. Making up for no recipe share yesterday- with 3 new ones today AND one being my third- and easiest so far, crock pot recipe, is like a cherry on top, wouldn't you say?

Sadly, being easy and low point, the crock pot recipe was also my least favourite of the three. I found Provencale Chicken Supper on the Cooking Light site. It was ok, but I didn't love it. dh actually liked it the most and said it "wasn't bad"- high praise from picky him, especially since he, in his words, usually enjoys "a dry chicken." har. He's such a gourmet, eh? ;) The children didn't like it much. I think they were frightened by the beans. They are still "plain" food eaters- with all foods neatly separated from each other.

Anyway, I was complaining about the smell of the crock pot earlier. I think it just reminded me of something from childhood. A bad flashback to a church hall potluck supper? I'm not sure what it was that made the smell: the tomato? the mixed beans that I used (since I didn't have the called-for white beans)? I don't know, but I couldn't get passed it. Now, people on the Cooking Light site LOVE this recipe, so I think it must be a smell that doesn't bother most people. :P I might do it again, with different beans and maybe a few different touches- inspired by the review commentators.

In terms of changes to the recipe this time, I changed the time cooked after looking at the reviews. I did 1 hour on high and 5 on low. Mine still had a lot of sauce, but I think that was also because I added more liquid-y tomato. I also didn't have a yellow pepper and I used partially still frozen boneless chicken in place of the bone-in chicken. My frozen bag of chicken also had 5 breasts in it- so I used one extra breast, too.

My two other dishes I made were motivated by my organic veggie/fruit box. This week, I got some cauliflower. I was going to have it raw, but then came across a tasty sounding recipe-Roasted Cauliflower with Lemon Butter- on my Canadian Living App (on my Touch- addicted, see?!) Anyway, I really liked this recipe. We got 4 servings out of it, but if you use all the called-for butter and divide it in 2 suggested servings, it's 3 points. I chopped parsley for it, but then I forgot to mix it in, so no green in my serving. I don't usually love cooked cauliflower, but both dh and I liked this recipe.

Finally, they keep giving me a ton of apples so I started looking for apple recipes. I found a tasty sounding crock pot apple butter recipe that I want to try and this one for apple crisp: Maple-Walnut Apple Crisp. The crisp was very good. AND what is better to get rid of stinky church lady casserole smell, than delicious smelling apple crisp?

(no offense to all the lovely church ladies I've known over the years. You are not responsible for my childhood trauma or my yoyo dieting. Or at least I don't think...)

2 comments:

carla said...

churchladies :)

always makes me think of that old Dana Carvey SNL skit...

JanetM97 said...

lol! Dana Carvey was funny. MY church ladies were way less violent though- and didn't hit you with their purse or threaten you with Satan. I think that's a different church. ;)