Saturday, February 21, 2009

Jambalaya- fun to Eat and fun to Say!




...and Asian Chicken-Soba Noodle Salad.

Hey bloggers! Happy Saturday night! no movie night with dh, afterall, but a fun day cropping and a tasty meal of Jambalaya and wine once home. So it's all good! :)

Menus 2 and 3 from Clean Eating's "Meal Multiplication" were both tasty and recommended to you by moi. With mil over this weekend, I had another NON-PICKY diner to taste test the recipes, and she liked both, too. Yeah! love dining visitors. :o)

Anyway, if you read my last post, from the Roasted Chicken with Cherry BBQ sauce & toasted almonds, came the next 2 recipes. Firstly, yesterday night we had Asian Chicken-Soba Noodle Salad. It was pretty easy to whip together, though I left it late and had the family waiting at the table, enjoying their rolls. I liked it quite a bit. It was a light, tasty meal. I enjoy sesame oil dishes like this. The family, usually not as much, though the dh didn't complain, so it was a winner to that extent. The kids picked out what they liked and ate it, slowly. as per usual.

I got home quite late after my crop- it was quite productive: 11 Disney vacation pages later- woo hoo! Eventually, I'll be done our Disney vacation pictures from 2 years ago... and so I just made the Jambalaya for two: mil and me. (The family had ordered pizza earlier.)

Anyway, the Jambalaya was pretty easy to whip together (though mil was impressed and said she would have personally just had "toast" after coming in late.) It was pretty tasty. I really liked it- as did mil. I liked the brown rice more than I thought I would, too. I'm usually a basmati rice girl. The mixture tasted spicy and fresh. :)

Here are the two recipes. I couldn't find them online, so I typed them up "in brief." Enjoy. :)

Asian Chicken-Soba Noodle Salad
8 oz soba noodles
1 c snow peas
4 cooked chicken breasts (from Roasted Chicken recipe)
1/3 c scallions
1/4 cilantro, chopped
1/2 reduced sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
sea salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c dry roasted cashews

Cook soba noodles according to package. Add snow peas last 30 seconds. Drain and put in large bowl. Add chicken, scallions, cilantro and toss.
Whisk broth, lime juice, soy sauce and sesame oil. Add noodle mixture. Toss. Sprinkle cashews over top just before serving.
(8 points per serving- 4 servings per batch :))

Jambalaya

1 c long grain brown rice
2 tsp olive oil
1 each green and red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1/2 white onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp salt-free Cajun or Creole seasoning
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 c reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cooked chicken breast (from recipe), cubed
1/2 lb med shrimp
1/4c parsley chopped
sea salt and pepper, to taste
Cook rice according to directions.

Heat oil in wok over med-heat. Cook peppers, onion, garlic (3 mins). Stir in seasoning. Add broth and chicken and heat to simmer. Stir in seasoning. Add shrimp and cook 2 min. Add rice and cook 1 min more.
Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
(4 servings- 6 points a serving)


2 comments:

Donnalouise said...

OMG!! That all looks so good! I haven't eaten breakfast yet and now I'm starving! YUMMY pictures :)

new*me said...

Hubby loves stuff like that..........I better not let him see this or he may expect me to cook it ;)

You are amazing!