Thursday, February 19, 2009

Patient Number 2 and a Secret Smoothie Ingredient







In spite of paying for vaccines when they were little, daughter number two has now come down with the pox! Poor sweetie is upset to miss school, told her friend (who said she wished SHE had chicken pox) to bring home LOTS of homework. lol. That'll change by high school, this I'm sure. So, I'm grounded today (and home from high school), hoping I can bring in reinforcements next week at least. It's hard when your family is spread across the country (and across other countries): long distance reinforcements don't work that well.

Anyway, I made the patient a smoothie and I thought I'd share with you all our new, favourite secret smoothie ingredient: low fat coconut milk. It comes from a prior share from Devin Alexander's The Most Decadent Diet Ever- now overdue, btw, due to our missing our library visit due to what we thought was the flu (aka the chicken pox). oops!

Anyway, for this smoothie, I used 1/2 cup of the coconut milk, 1/2 c skim, 1 banana, 1 c (or so) of frozen strawberries, and 1 container of low-fat yogurt. Today I had to use a DanActive Cranberry-Raspberry drink cause I didn't make it to the grocery store yesterday and I'm out of yogurt.

The drinks are really good, btw. I bought them at Costco after a taste test there and both kids really like them in lunches.
I don't like to use the artificially sweetened yogurt with the kids (as Devin does in her recipe). The drink adds 13g of sugar, but with the coconut milk and the yogurt, you don't need to add extra sugar to get a non-sour smoothie. The other day, I also made this with my unsweetened plain yogurt instead of the little container of sweetened, flavoured stuff. It still tasted sweet enough for me.

This smoothie is usually 4 points if you use 2 individual containers of no-real sugar added yogurt and 2 cups of the strawberries (and pour it into 2 servings). :)



2 comments:

carla said...

HOW SAD DOES THE PATIENT LOOK?!

and Im with you. whether it's right for ME or not :) I do use artificial sweeteners, but for the Toddler I choose sugars.

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Poor thing looks absolutely miserable!

I didn't know there WAS such a thing as low-fat coconut milk. Thanks for the tip!