Friday, February 6, 2009

Janet makes Lentil Soup! (and sauteed bananas)


One of my eating-more-healthy goals is definitely to make more soup. I TALK about making more soup. I take note of soup recipes suggested by my friends, but I don't actually make much soup (other than the ready to serve stuff that comes in a carton which I take to work as an easy lunch sometime- there's some good stuff out there, btw!) Anywhoooo...tonight I feel all gloaty and boastful 'cause not only did I make soup, I used stuff in my organic veggie box- ie chard, onions- they keep giving me bags of onion- and carrots. woo hoo!

The soup I made came highly recommended by the Cooking Light community folk: Lentil Soup with Chard. I didn't change anything from the recipe except I couldn't find brown lentils- mine were green- and I didn't use the yogurt (maybe tomorrow). I really wasn't sure if I would like it, it looked kind of scary, but I loved it. dh really liked it, too and the kids, well they had a number of mouthfuls (10, they tell me) without too, too much fussing. Score! ;) Anyway, I'm joining the CL community folk in telling you to try this soup! It's very tasty (and 5 healthy points).

The French toast- French Toast with Sauteed Bananas- was from Decadent Diet. I made it for the pox patient and myself this morning. My bananas didn't turn out as pretty as in their picture- then I mashed mine, but all in all, it was pretty tasty. I didn't have egg substitute, so I just used a couple of egg whites. I cut back on the butter by just using a bit in the pan with Pam spray.

French Toast with Sauteed Banana (in brief) :)
the banana part:
1 med firm banana (mine might have been too mushy?)
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp light butter (I didn't have light butter, so I just greased the pan a bit)
Cook the slices in butter in a non-stick skillet over med-high heat. 2-4 mins. Keep warm.
the French toast part:
1/4 c skim milk
2 tbsp egg substitute
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp light butter
2 slices whole wheat bread
Mix milk, egg, sugar and cinnamon is a large shallow bowl. Heat butter in nonstick pan over med-high. Dip bread in milk mixture and then cook. 1-3 mins per side until golden brown.
Transfer to a plate and top with half the banana mixture. (2 servings: 1 slice with topping equals 4 points. or 202 cals, 4g fat, 4 g fiber)

In exercise news, with no more Friday boot camp, I tried one of Cathe's videos: Low Impact Step from the library AND did my Nike Touch core challenge workout. It was good. She breaks up her repetition work with some interesting step moves, so I liked it. Soup AND exercise? Still kinda gloaty over here. ;)

Have a great weekend everyone!

4 comments:

new*me said...

boot camp and lentils ;)

I make a big pot about once a month and freeze the leftovers in individual containers I can pop out for lunch :)

Such an incredible source of fiber ;)

JanetM97 said...

Is this the one you made, Annette? Or do you have a recipe to share with the class? Freezing is a great idea, but what do you freeze them in? Paranoid about plastic here. :p

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Let's pretend I'm drooling over the soup and not the bananas. :)

Way to go on meeting your soup AND exercise goals, not to mention getting the kiddos to eat lentils.

JanetM97 said...

lol! thanks Cammy! :)