Saturday, January 31, 2009

and sometimes you eat alone...

...though this Baked Cheese Polenta with Swiss Chard ( 3 points ) was actually pretty good.

Our schedule was weird last night- I had boot camp and the girls had piano after school. We'd gone for minor groceries and then Starbucks hot chocolate and (me) a latte at Chapters after, so we weren't all that hungry...anyway, by the time I made this, everyone else had eaten something already so I didn't MAKE them try it. lol. Except for dh, who complained about the garlic smell during prep and then claimed it had too much in it. *sigh* It really didn't- or else I couldn't taste any excessive garlic. Anyway, he didn't eat his either. I ate every bit of mine though. I should start a family sticker chart, eh? I'd be winning!

I made this recipe (after searching online for Swiss chard recipes) because I actually already had all the ingredients (don't you love it when that happens?)- except my low fat sour cream had gotten fuzzy. (ergo the minor grocery trip)

I didn't have enough Swiss Chard. I got a single bunch from my organic produce box, but it calls for 2 bunches. I contemplated looking for more, but decided not to bother. If I get more Swiss chard next time, I think I'll try this again with the right amount. The major taste of this was polenta. I don't know if my tots would have enjoyed the texture. The look of the dish got no under 5 foot five takers anyway.

Boot camp was pretty good last night. We did a massive cardio warmup involving skipping at the beginning. There were about 7 or 8 stations focusing on the core. I do need to work on my core muscles, so that was good. I'm trying to decide whether to sign up for another boot camp (this was the last class of this session) or else sign up for a membership at the gym across from my workplace. Decisions. decisions. I was GOING to run this morning at 9, but my running partner had to cancel. It's pretty darn cold out right now anyway and we were going to meet at the waterfront. brrrrr... I promise to do something indoors today.

Side note on Swiss chard...this type of greens makes me think of my parents and their gardens growing up. As a kid I never appreciated their fresh-from-their-garden veggies that they were always serving. Swiss chard was one that I remember actually liking though. It probably was the melted butter on it. mmmmm...but polenta is a treat, too. ;)

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I LOVE CHARD! I have never had it any other way than steamed. I am so excited to try this recipe out because I LOVE CHARD! Its funny because it reminds me of my parents too. My mom grew it when we lived in San Diego and had a giant garden and orchard.

Thanks for the encouragement, I really need it sometimes!