Saturday, January 17, 2009

Banana-Coconut Mini-Muffins and Stephanie

Happy Saturday! the sweetest day of all? :) I made these mini muffins from The Most Decadent Diet ( borrowed from the library ). They are Banana-Coconut Mini Muffins. I couldn't find the recipe on line, so here you go- in brief...

Banana-Coconut Mini Muffins

butter-flavoured cooking spray
1 cup whole-grain oat flour ( I ground my own again in my coffee grinder )
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 c mashed banana
1/2 c brown sugar (unpacked)
1 large egg white
1/3 c fat free, artifically sweetened vanilla or banana yogurt
1/2c plus 2 tbsp sweetened flake coconut

Preheat oven to 350. Mist 18 nonstick mini-muffin cups with spray. Combine first 4 in a small bowl. In a large bowl, combine the banana, sugar and egg with a whisk. Whisk in flour mixture until no flour is visible. Mix in 1/2 c coconut. Spoon into muffin tin and sprinkle with 2 tbsp of coconut.

Bake 12-15 minutes. Cool on rack 10 mins. These can keep 3 days in container.
Makes 18 muffins. Serving: 2 mini muffins (106 cals, 2g fat, 2g fiber)

They were quite tasty. My children didn't like the coconut. I made a couple of changes to the recipe.

1) I didn't have artifically sweetened yogurt, so mine had actual sugar. Mine was non-fat though. 1/3 cup is a perfect small container. Don't you love easy- ie "no" measuring? yeah!

2) Since I was using a yogurt with sugar, I used 1/4 c of my Splenda brown sugar- which equals 1/2c of the real stuff. The Splenda version is a mixture of brown sugar and Splenda. Anyway, it might have made the muffins sweeter. I don't usually use it.

In exercise news, I didn't run this morning (too cold!), but I went to boot camp last night. It was a good workout. We had a guest instructor as our reg was off training a team somewhere. The only exercise I didn't really enjoy was the boxing bag one- as usual. Our new instructor teaches boxing classes, I think ( and he left the exercises for the sub ), and so he always adds in boxing stuff. Anyway, I always feel dorky and never feel like I'm breaking a sweat, probably cause I'm not doing it right. The other exercises were intense though with lots of cardio spots mixed in.

Finally, my Bachelor news just for fun... our "relative" through marriage ( sil's sister ) is Stephanie. She is featured in the next episode. Here's the promo on YouTube for your enjoyment.

4 comments:

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Mmmm...muffins! I've done the copy/paste thing. I hope to make these someday!

I felt self-concious boxing, too! It must be an X chromosone thing. :)

Stay warm!

carla said...

oooh cammy lets make someday into SUNDAY!
today.
my sister had a baby yesterday and Im gonna try and whip these together to drop off at her house!

thanks,
MizFit

new*me said...

I'll be watching for Stephanie :)

The muffins are too cute! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

blendergrl said...

Im to make these tonight.. hope mine look as good as yours :)