Thursday, January 8, 2009

In search of the Chopstick Chicken Salad


Hey all! two days in a row...can a get a woo hoo! :) 2 days of posting, 2 days of tracking and less snacking (had to type that due to rhym-age.)

Anyway, the one thing lacking in my day was exercise- namely because there was no step class at school (girl's gym is still under reno) AND I had to pick up groceries on the way home and by the time I got stuff put away, I felt like getting other stuff done. I DID have lunch at Quiznos Subs (Honey Bourbon small= 6 sweet points) with my former running partner and she wants us to do a marathon in November. Does that count as exercise? no? Well, at least I have a goal to work toward now, which usually helps me focus my exercise. She did get me to run my longest distance (30K), but I'm not sure how my bod will handle a full marathon. BUT it's good to have a goal. :) AND tomorrow is boot camp day. (so I should rest up anyway- right?)

I don't really have a recipe to share as such- though I did buy a new cookbook on the weekend at Costco: the ww "in 20 mins" one. For dinner tonight, I tried to recreate my favourite restaurant salad: Jack Astor's Chopstick Chicken salad. It wasn't "quite" right, but it was delicious. I worked it out to 10 points. It consisted of salad greens, grilled chicken, chopped red pepper, diced cucumber and tomato, chopped sugared pecans (stole 5 from dh's large Christmas bottle of mixed decadent nuts from my mother), Renee's Asian Sesame Vinaigrette (delicious!) and baked won ton strips. I think Jack's actually fries their strips of won ton. (They look all bubbly and thicker.)

The baked ones were really good though. dh loved them, too. I brushed olive oil on them (as per a recipe I found on the internet). The one thing I was missing, I'd just pitched yesterday- dried cranberries. Go figure. I'll have to get a new package and try the salad again. I do love the cranberries in the restaurant one.

I did my chicken on a non-stick grill pan after pounding it flat in a freezer bag and marinating it in lemon juice, olive oil, a spalsh of water, garlic and spices.

3 comments:

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Yum, the salad looks good. Happy New Year!

Path to Health

carla said...

yep.
you can get a whoo hooo.

and AYYYY MEN.

and a here's to another one.

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Mmm, that salad looks yummy!

Way to get back on track (and not snack.)